Normalised cross correlation

Malcolm Reynolds malcolm.reynolds at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 12:16:37 EST 2012

Hi everyone,

I've just stumbled across skimage as I'm going through to arduous process
of trying to switch my workflow (PhD study of computer vision & machine
learning) from matlab to python. The project looks great but I'm currently
in need of a fast Normalised Cross Correlation function. As it is, I can't
find any python implementation which is anywhere near the speed of Matlab's
normxcorr2 (correct me if I'm wrong...) and it looks like a corresponding
function to match the normxcorr2 behaviour is planned but not yet
implemented for skimage. Is this correct? I'd be interested in looking into
this and contributing some code to the project, but before I put a heap of
time into it I just wanted to check that something didn't already exist in
this or another numpy-based project.

Cheers,

Malcolm