[scikits-image] Restore previous io plugins (#152)

Tony Yu tsyu80 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 13:26:53 EST 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 12:20 AM, Tony Yu <tsyu80 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/2/26 Stéfan van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za>
>
>> On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Christoph Gohlke <cjgohlke at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Instead of restoring the default plugins after each test module, maybe
>> it
>> > would be better/cleaner/safer for the tests to never change the default
>> > plugins but to just load the plugin and explicitly specify the plugin in
>> > each imread, imwrite, etc. function call? It seems there is currently
>> no way
>> > to load a plugin without making it the default. This could be achieved
>> by
>> > changing the use_plugin function to accept another option for the `kind`
>> > parameter, e.g. an empty string, signaling that the plugin should only
>> be
>> > loaded. Probably too late for the 0.5 release.
>>
>> Ideally, the ``imread(..., plugin='fits')`` functionality should
>> auto-load the FITS-plugin---I should see why this is not currently
>> working, because it seems like a bug.
>>
>> Stéfan
>>

> I just submitted PR #157<https://github.com/scikits-image/scikits-image/pull/157> to
> address an error raised with non-loaded plugins. I'm not sure if this
> addresses the issue you mention above, but it's related, at least.
>
> -Tony

Hmm, another issue: Using ``imshow(..., plugin='qt')`` doesn't behave
correctly (even after the PR above) because the ``show()`` function still
uses the default plugin (i.e. not necessarily the qt plugin), so the window
opened by ``imshow`` just disappears.

I don't have time to look at the code right now, but this seems like a more
difficult issue to solve.

-Tony