Relation with computer vision and machine learning

Andreas Mueller amueller at ais.uni-bonn.de
Thu Jul 26 18:02:39 EDT 2012

Hi Wei.
> Thanks for your reply! I see your great work in scikits-learn and your
> comments are quite useful.

Thanks :)
> Many will overlap, I think we can maintain a list. As a quick example
> in the following:
There is no discussion that machine learning methods are helpful for
vision problems and that vision problems
are an important application domain for machine learning tools.

The question is if there is something you would like in skimage that
would require the use of something from sklearn.
I.e. what algorithm you want in skimage is only useful together with
something from sklearn?
I don't think any of your examples are in this category. Which is well
enough, since this means
it should be easy to keep the two things separate ;)

Btw, MRFs in vision are often not learned, so this is no ML, just
optimization. And I would rather place
that in skimage, as it is quite image specific. When I talked about
graph-cuts, that's what I meant.
Normalized cuts are of limited use in low level vision since they are
very slow for superpixels.
I was rather thinking of Boykov-Kolmogorov push-relabel - which is my
next project when I get
my superpixels done. (Stefan actually mentioned he'd like to have it :)

Abour RBMs: I am
<http://www.ais.uni-bonn.de/deep_learning/papers/ESANN10_schulz.pdf> no
<http://www.ais.uni-bonn.de/deep_learning/papers/IJCNN10_mueller.pdf>
stranger
<http://www.ais.uni-bonn.de/%7Eschulz/publications/papers/nips10ws_schulz_mueller_behnke.pdf>
to them
<http://www.ais.uni-bonn.de/%7Eschulz/publications/papers/neurocomp11_schulz_mueller_behnke.pdf>
but I would rather not include them in sklearn and definitely not in
skimage.

Cheers,
Andy