gstreamer

Tony Yu tsyu80 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 00:24:10 EDT 2012

Hi Otto,

See response below.

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 5:14 AM, Otto <otto.fajardob at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I would like to try the Video function in skimage.io. I installed
> gstreamer, toghether with gstreamer sdk providing the python bindings.
> So, when I say import pygst from python console, it does not complain.
> However, trying to use the Video function like this:
>
> myvideo = skio.Video(source=source,backend='gstreamer')
>
> gives this error message:

<snip>

>     raise ImportError("GStreamer Python bindings 0.10+ required")
> ImportError: GStreamer Python bindings 0.10+ required
>
> So: how to install properly these python bindings for gstreamer???

What system are you running and how did you install GStreamer?

I don't actually have GStreamer installed, so my usefulness here is
limited. Looking at the code though, I'm not sure it's actually failing on
the version check (which I think raises an Assertion error, but the caught
exception is an ImportError).

Could you try running the following imports:

import gst
import gobject
from gst.extend.discoverer import Discoverer

> By the way: Is this module appropiate to open a video file, let's say
> an avi file, that is compressed using for example with XViD, and then
> retrieve single frames as numpy arrays?
>
> thanks!

If GStreamer can read it, then the video plugin should be able to as well.
Yes, you can access a frame with the video's `get` method (which returns a
numpy array).

You can also use the video functionality by using OpenCV as a backend (but
that could be difficult to install, depending on your system).

Cheers,
-Tony