Separation of tests into unit test and functional tests

SirVer sirver at gmx.de
Mon Oct 19 12:55:52 EDT 2009

Hi,

I have something of a lot of importance to mention. We should start to
separate our tests into unit and integration tests. For what reason?
The 40 tests need 3.256 seconds on my box to run; that's approximately
the time it takes to compile the opencv module here. So compiling +
tests = 2 * compiling. That's still acceptable, but 40 tests is
nothing. 400 tests will need 30 seconds which is too much to run after
each edit. But that is was unittests are for. The reason why I come up
with this now is that it is important to make this separation while it
is still easy and possible. The best way is to group tests into many
groups ('opencv', 'fast', 'slow', 'need_camera'). A short blog post
concerning this is:

http://beust.com/weblog/archives/000319.html

I have no idea how to achieve this with pynose in a simple way
though,

Once again: I think scikit_image will grow fast and therefore test
will grow fast. Users will stop running the tests if they take to
long. Too long for an interactive coding session is > 10s .

Cheers,
Holger