OpenImageIO

Gary Ruben gary.ruben at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 22:39:33 EDT 2009

Re, IO, has anyone looked into any of the binary file parser libraries
for Python?
For example, there's pyffi, construct and bdec.
Pyffi http://pyffi.sourceforge.net/ looks to me like the best
candidate if this approach was to be considered and it's BSD licensed.
The advantages are that this approach should be robust against faulty
files, there's a gui file editor, it provides access to all the file
contents (not just the image planes) and it may provide a nice general
way to read more general (non-image) binary files in numpy. A possible
disadvantage is that it doesn't take advantage of any of numpy's
binary file machinery so it may be slower, but maybe this could be
improved. It's not clear whether specifying the file format with
something like this makes life easier, but I thought I'd put it out
there.

Construct may be worth a look, but I can't see any license info.
http://construct.wikispaces.com/

There's also bdec, but it's lgpl'ed so not a candidate:
http://www.hl.id.au/projects/bdec/

Gary