[PyVault-devel] Re: package name for mod_python (Re: introduction)

Jeff Pitman symbiont at berlios.de
Sat Feb 12 02:58:01 CET 2005

On Saturday 12 February 2005 01:21, Terrel Shumway wrote:
> > I'd consider mod_python more of an application.  Though, try to
> > poke around to see what precedents we have--has Debian or others
> > done this before?  I'm thinking possibly mod_pythonXY should be
> > sufficiently descriptive.
>
> I consider mod_python a library, because you cannot run it
> standalone. It fits in the same space as pythonXY-cheetah and
> pythonXY-webware

Well put.

> [snip]
>
>  pythonXY-apache2-mod_python
>
> is a bit long, but tells the whole story

I agree that "mod_python" should be a sub-string of the package name.
apacheX may be a bit much.  Considering current support of rh7.3, 9,
fc1,2,3, do you see one of these installing both apache 1.x and 2.x?
Two apaches might be something found on development systems, but never
on production.  But, I'm not sure how much continued "development"
apache 1.x is going to see.

If apache 1.x is a dead-end, then having pythonXY-mod_python appears to
be the candidate package name.

Quick mention about the template:
https://opensvn.csie.org/traccgi/pyvault/trac.cgi/file/rpms/trunk/pyvault-template.spec

It's a cheetah template, driven by:
https://opensvn.csie.org/traccgi/pyvault/trac.cgi/file/scripts/spectemplate.py

I like to use it after running a quick "python setup.py bdist_rpm",
which produces a .spec file.  Anyway, it might be overkill, but i just
wanted to learn how cheetah worked.

I'll be putting together a hacking document soon which will talk about
how to setup a build chroot, etc. It'll also mention the "alternatives"
package and how to use it.

have fun,

--
-jeff