[Pythonmac-SIG] Problem with pip

Joni Orponen j.orponen at 4teamwork.ch
Thu Jan 18 08:58:10 EST 2018

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 6:42 PM, Shawn Tolidano <shawn.tolidano at compass.com>
wrote:

> So - to my knowledge, it has NO BUSINESS using the 10.6 as a compatible
> wheel and should instead download the source.

The offical CPython distributions seem to be compiled on 10.6 for
compatibility reasons. It is easier to compile CPython forwards-compatible
than to manually patch pyconfig.h after configure to exclude the syscalls
not available on your older target platforms.

For the people compiling wheels for distribution it would make sense to
mirror CPython for their distributions for similar reasons.

Is there some newer syscall path you absolutely need to go through (for
reasons of sandboxing requirements? a specification requirement for using
getentropy()?) or what is the actual problem you are trying to fix here?

--
Joni Orponen