[Pythonmac-SIG] Package for building DMG installers from pip requirements

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 16:10:04 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 9/22/14, Charlie Clark <charlie.clark at clark-consulting.eu> wrote:
> Am .09.2014, 15:37 Uhr, schrieb Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>:
>
>> Yes - if you don't have much they need to install, then you can easily
>> do it with pip in the class - otherwise the time and bandwidth can be
>> limiting.
>
> A local devpi server can work wonders there.

Sure, but that is a lot of setup for one morning of installs.   The
benefit of the point-click installer is that the student can download
everything they need in their own time.

> Purely regarding wheels - as far as I can tell they're not perfect yet. We
> dropped them from openpyxl because we couldn't stop them packaging
> "kitchen sink". This has already disappointed one person but particularly
> for people who just want something installed, we only want to ship the
> package.

Would you mind saying more about what went wrong there?  Wheels will
install all the listed dependencies, but if there are dependencies you
don't want, and are not necessary, then the package maintainer needs
to know...  That would be the same for wheels as for a source install,
as far as I know.

Cheers,

Matthew