[Pythonmac-SIG] [Pyobjc-dev] Towards PyObjC 3.0

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Jun 3 13:06:59 CEST 2014

Hi,

I'm continuing to work on PyObjC and hope to push a release to PyPI next weekend.  Development is going very slowly at the moment due to lack of time on my end, I'm doing all development in my spare time and that's filled with other stuff at the moment (and has been for a while).

I have no reason to assume that PyObjC won't work on 10.10, with some luck I'll "only" have to update the metadata to support new APIs. That's annoying work, but not very hard.

From what I've seen so far, and that's only a 5 minute glance at the public documentation, Swift will be a competing product as an easy scripting-like way to build applications. That's no reason to stop work on PyObjC though, I'm using PyObjC to write GUIs for applications where most of the code is written in Python and is using cross-platform Python code. Swift changes nothing for that use case w.r.t. Objective-C.

Swift might provide both opportunities and challenges in the future: Swift method names seem to be more like classic C- (and Python-) style names and not segmented names as used by Objective-C. As Swift can use existing ObjC libraries there might be some kind of translation table for method names, and if that exists this could be used by PyObjC as well to provide nicer names in Python code (instead of the ugly names we have to use now).

A possible challenge is the runtime model of Swift: I have no idea if Swift has, or will have, runtime introspection possibilities that could be used in the future to expose Swift libraries to Python code.

Ronald

I'm also very eager to hear an update, but PyObjC is going to be competing with Swift now!