[Pythonmac-SIG] [OT] advice on distributing for different OSs

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal chris.barker at noaa.gov
Fri May 24 17:28:53 CEST 2013

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 2:10 AM, DavidWorrall <vip at avatar.com.au> wrote:
> maybe you'd like to help build one?
>
> mmm tempting. I'm moving continents ATM so it will have to wait a bit.

Who knows how much time I'll find for this, but my goal is to set up a
system (probably a gitHub project), and then others will be able to
contribute build scripts for particular packages. I'll certainly
annouce that effort when there is something to see...

If I can get this in place, I'm hoping that it will, in fact, be
easier to build new package by using this system that doing it from
scratch by hand, and once you've done it, why not contribute it back?

-Chris

> Enthought's offerings, for example. They seem pretty slick,

> When one installs their Canopy on the Mac, for example, they impose
> themselves on the Terminal prompt:
>
> (Canopy 32bit) drwIntel-6:~ drw$

you're kidding! Their installer messes with the prompt settings in
.bash_profile or somewhere? that really is too much! (I agree it's not
fatal, but WTF?)

> It's got the feel like Apple's own approach: take complete control of
> customer's computer/phone/etc
> Perhaps after years of this I'm ready to move to Linux.

I know the feeling...

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov