[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app issue, app crashes on 10.7.5

Russell E. Owen rowen at uw.edu
Wed Feb 27 23:34:09 CET 2013

In article <2D0381B9-3B50-4804-9B2F-74185523672F at gmail.com>,
 David Smith <drsmith48 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ronald,
>
> To recap, my recent roadblocks were with current macport versions of python
> 2.7, wxpython 2.9.4, and py2app 0.7.3 on OS X 10.8.  The first problem
> occurred when building the standalone app with py2app.  The error seemed to
> arise from py2app or macholib: "Mach-O header is too large to relocate".
> Following your helpful suggestions at bitbucket, I increased the file depth
> of the macports installation, and decreased the app's build directory file
> depth (see link below).  With those changes, the app built without error.
> The app executed on OS X 10.8, but generated a memory address error on OS X
> 10.6 during wxpython initiation (another link below).  I did not discover a
> solution for the memory error.
>
> The solution to the problems above was removing macports and building the
> python stack from binary installers (python 2.7, numpy, scipy, matplotlib,
> wxpython).  Now everything works - the app builds cleanly and executes on OS
> X 10.8 and 10.6.  I'm not sure why the macport versions don't work together,
> but I'm happy to have a working solution.

It seems likely that the macports packages were built with an SDK that
is not compatible with MacOS X 10.6. Your solution of using python.org
python and binary installers is what I recommend for distributing
software that has to run on older machines. (Though there may be some
way of making macports build backwards-compatible packages).

-- Russell