[Pythonmac-SIG] Fwd: distutils and stdarg.h

Russell E. Owen rowen at uw.edu
Thu Feb 9 20:37:05 CET 2012

In article
<CALGmxE+EsRe4VbpQzXcapR_WiGAT8NT75_KGHHxCOACy8RMGng at mail.gmail.com>,
 Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> darn, forgot to send to the list again -- I hate these defaults!

I suggest you try one of these things:
- Use gcc 4.0.1 to build extensions for 32-bit python.org python. That's
what I'm still doing. It requires XCode 3.x.

- Use gcc 4.2.1 to build extensions for 64-bit python.org python. Two
issues:
   - you give up compatibility with MacOS X 10.5.
   - The result will not work with ActiveState's Tcl/Tk. Not a problem
for you, but both of these are unacceptable for my code.

- Use gcc 4.2.1 and ActiveState's 64-bit python 2.7. That supposedly
gives you compatibility with MacOS X 10.5 and it surely works with
ActiveState's Tcl/Tk. But you may need a license to distribute the
results (likely free in your case). This is the way I'm leaning, and I
even got a license, but I'm reluctant to give up on python.or python.

-- Russell