[Pythonmac-SIG] Help with Py2app

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Mon Apr 30 20:08:31 CEST 2012

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 10:20 AM, Charlie Clark

>>> tried to break out the py2app part into a separate script.

I'd go farther with this...

>> I don't know that py2app reslies on setuptools for anything.
>
> Maybe it doesn't but I got an error when I moved the relevant part of
> setup.py over to a new file generated by py2applet. It was complaining about
> the Extensions not being Extension instances.

right...

>>> dependency and build and package the shared libraries automatically?

note here -- it should include them, but having it both build and
package in one step may not work...

>> please post:
>> your setup.py

> And my feeble attempt:
>
> http://pastebin.com/ASzHipCe

OK -- to keep this all cleaner, I'd completely separate building and
py2app-ing. So the steps would be:

python setup.py install (or install, or develop)

make sure it's all running in that environment. Then:

python setup.py py2app

having py2app use the distutils API was a nifty idea, but I'm not sure
it's bought us anythign bu confusion in practice. The the setup.py
would either be completely separate, or you can have a clause in
there:

if "py2app" in sys.argv: (or somethign like that)
    # do the py2app stuff here

they key is not to try to use the same call to distutils.setup to
build, install, and py2app.

I usually end up with essentially completely different setup.py for
installing, py2exe and py2app, though they may be in the same file or
not.

HTH,
   -Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov