[Pythonmac-SIG] Help with Py2app

Charlie Clark charlie.clark at clark-consulting.eu
Mon Apr 30 13:26:20 CEST 2012

Hi,

I'm trying to update the setup script for the LinkChecker project
http://linkchecker.sourceforge.net/ because it no longer builds the app
and does not work reliably in a virtualenv. I am hoping to build a
standalone app and package it as a DMG as the project author no longer has
access to Apple hardware.

The existing procedure is a bit convoluted in that it is actually driven
by a makefile although `bin/python setup.py py2app` should in theory be
sufficient. The existing setup.py is monolithic and fairly complicated so
I tried to break out the py2app part into a separate script. When I did
this and followed the py2app documentation it became clear that the script
needs to be updated to use setuptools, at least for the extensions. My
knowledge of writing setup scripts is extremely limited.

LinkChecker is a QT project and needs Python-SIP. Unfortunately I haven't
worked out how the recipe works. Does the py2app automatically detect the
dependency and build and package the shared libraries automatically?

Thanks for any help.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark