[Pythonmac-SIG] [py2app] packaging an egg using pkg_resources

Chris.Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Oct 26 20:46:55 CEST 2011

On 10/23/11 10:52 PM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>>> The "proper" solution is to teach py2app how to copy eggs with their
>>> metadata and resources into the
>>> application bundle.
>>
>> That would be nice, but I don't know that it's really the "best" solution.
>
> Eggs exist and py2app should support them, otherwise people have to resort to ugly workarounds like copying files manually.  Adding an option for copying a set of eggs into the application bundle would be fairly easy.

I wasn't clear -- I agree that copying the egg into the bundle is the
best solution for py2app itself.

I was arguing that it would be better to not use setuptools features in
that way at all -- but if they're used, it's nice for py2app to support
them.

>> AS for resources, personally I like to use python files for data -- and then "import" to get it - this makes for nice, clean integeration with py2app, etc.
>
> I use python files for resources on Windows to get single-file executables with py2exe, but prefer to use real data files on OSX for easier maintenance.

I guess what I think causes difficulties is data files required by a
third-party package, rather than the one my app uses -- I don't have any
issue with data files for my app -- it's the ones in third party
packages that you then need to install properly with py2app or py2exe --
that's a pain.

-CHB

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov