[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app application fails with ImportError: No module named sysconfig

Russell Owen rowen at uw.edu
Fri Jul 22 23:25:43 CEST 2011

On Jul 20, 2011, at 3:31 PM, Russell E. Owen wrote:

> I used py2app to build an application that i've been building for years,
> only now it's failing at startup with the appended log.
>
> The problem is triggered by numpy 1.6.1fc3 (which I installed from
> source). If I build using an older numpy I don't see the problem.
>
> However, the application runs just fine from the command line, so I'm
> puzzled how it could be an actual bugin numpy. (If it is, though, now is
> a great time to report it, before 1.6.1 is released).
>
> Any idea what might be causing this and how to avoid it? A google search
> didn't turn up anything that looked relevant.
>
> -- Russell

For some reason 1.6.1 release does not exhibit this problem. I tried the 32-bit binary installer and also installing from source and in both cases the application runs just fine.

I verified yet again that 1.6.1rc3 shows the problem (by building it yet and then my app yet again). For every test I always delete numpy from site-packages before installing the next version.

I don't know what happened with 1.6.1rc3, but I'm very relieved the bug is gone in 1.6.1 release.

For those who are curious there are only four python files that are different between 1.6.1rc3 and 1.6.1 release (according to bbdiff). Of these the only change I can even imagine is relevant is this one:

numpy/ctypeslib.py changes when this line is called (1.6.1rc3 did it right away; 1.6.1 moves it into the code);
   from numpy.distutils.misc_util import get_shared_lib_extension

The others are:
- numpy/polynomial/polytemplate.py one __str__ method and one __repr__ method changed
- numpy/version.py: only version data changed
- setup.py: only version data changed

-- Russell