[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app not happy with zope.interface

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu Jul 22 16:05:28 CEST 2010

On 21 Jul, 2010, at 22:24, Russell E. Owen wrote:

> A py2app-built application stopped building properly recently after
> various upgrades. It would fail immediately on startup complaining that
> it could not find zope.interface. The app uses Twisted, which is why it
> needs zope.interface.
>
> I tried adding "zope" or "zope.interface" to "packages", but neither
> worked (in particular, the latter resulted in a traceback during the
> build).
>
> What did work was to add a blank __init__.py file to the "zope"
> directory in site-packages. But I don't know why that was useful. (I
> realize it makes zope into a package, but I don't know why that was
> necessary because zope.interface can already be imported from the
> command line -- presumably due to a pth file).

How did you install zope.interface? Basically which easy_install or pip command-line did you use to install?

I guess the nspkg.pth ensures that zope.interface can be imported without an __init__ file and py2app doesn't parse those files (or doesn't understand how to do so). If I can reproduce the problem I can  (and will) fix it.

Ronald