[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app problem: invalid matplotlib recipe

Russell E. Owen rowen at uw.edu
Mon Jul 12 22:39:34 CEST 2010

py2app 0.4.3's matplotlib recipe includes:

    mf.import_hook('pytz.zoneinfo', m, ['UTC'])

This has two incompatibilities with the current version of pytz:
- zoneinfo is a data directory but not a package (no __init__.py)
- UTC is not a python file (it is called UTC, not UTC.py)

Removing the line listed above from the recipe fixes the problem -- it
allows my build to complete, and the resulting application includes
pytz with its zoneinfo directory and data files).

But it also loses the test for the presence of pytz, which may be a bad
thing (if so, it should also test for dateutils, right?).

I'm curious: is the line in question supposed to do more than test if
pytz exists? If it only tests if pytz works then why does it have such
detail about the internals of pytz? If it does more (e.g. add pytz files
to the bundled application), then why did my fix work?

-- Russell