[Pythonmac-SIG] Popen and py2app

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Dec 27 18:46:24 CET 2010

Adam Morris wrote:
> Could this be a problem with py2app, or is there something about the
> run-time environment I've overlooked?
>
> Would also be interested if there is a better way of checking to see
> if a command line utility is currently located in the path for the
> current user's system.

I think what you've done is correct -- i.e. it's not on the PATH for the
users system.

For the most part, the PATH for the command line is added to the shell
rc scripts, so if you are not running from a shell (i.e. from a py2app
bundle) you won't have the additional entries on PATH (like /usr/local/bin).

I'm pretty sure there is a way to edit a plist somewhere to add to the
PATH system (or user?) wide. However, if you're delivering an app
bundle, you probably don't want to require your users to do this.

I may misunderstand your use case, but I think you could specifically
search for the utility in places it might be expected to be found:

/usr/bin
/usr/local/bin
/sw/... (for fink)
/opt/... (for macports)

rather then expect it to be on the PATH.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov