[Pythonmac-SIG] Which version to install?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Aug 31 11:12:50 CEST 2010

On 31 Aug, 2010, at 11:06, engelbert gruber wrote:

> on my mac it says wish8.5 if i start it from cmdline
>
> and /usr/bin/python Tkinter.TkVersion is 8.5
>
> or am i missing something ?

You're probably running OSX 10.6, which includes tk 8.5 and tk 8.4.   OSX 10.5 and earlier only ship with Tk 8.4.

That's why the 32-bit installers on python.org link with Tk 8.4, those installer work on OSX 10.3.9 or later and should have a working version of Tkinter out of the box because otherwise IDLE won't work.    It is technically possible to include a copy of Tk 8.5 with the python  installer, but that installer is huge as it is and including Tk 8.5 would increase the load on maintainers.

Ronald