[Pythonmac-SIG] [Python-Dev] Fwd: Broken link to download (Mac OS X)

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sun Apr 25 16:31:55 CEST 2010

On 24 Apr, 2010, at 18:19, Michael Foord wrote:

> On 18/04/2010 16:48, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>>
>> [snip...]
>>>    Michael> A build on my machine produces output similar to:
>>>
>>>    Michael> Python build finished, but the necessary bits to build these modules
>>>    Michael> were not found:
>>>    Michael> _bsddb             dl                 gdbm
>>>
>> * _bsddb and gdbm require external libraries that aren't provided in the system install
>>

> Sorry for duplicating this conversation - just going through my outstanding emails. Feel free to ignore the one on python-dev.
>
> What are the external libraries? This is probably documented somewhere, so could you point me to it? (Sorry - my ignorance I know.)

gdbm and bsddb are python wrappers for C libraries that aren't part of OSX, if you want to use them you have to install those C libraries manually (GNU DBM and Sleepycat DB).

>> * dl doesn't get build on OSX 10.6 when you use the default configure settings because that results in a 64-bit binary and setup.py explicitly disables building the dl module for 64-bit platforms. Apple has a patch that enables building dl on 64-bit OSX, I haven't had time to check if that patch is actually valid.
>>

> Ok. I would be interested in how to do a 32bit build.

"configure --enable-universalsdk=/ " results in a binary that is 32-bit and runs natively on i386 and ppc machines.

>>>    Michael> readline           spwd               sunaudiodev
>>>
>> readline requires an external library or python 2.6.5, 2.7 or 3.2.
>
> Hmm... I have readline installed (via homebrew). Is that not sufficient?

That should work, but only when setup.py finds that readline install.

>> This one should work. Do you have a /Library/Framework/Tcl.framework? If so, what is the output of "file /Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Tcl", what OSX release are you building on and what are the configure flags.
>>

> OS X 10.6.3.
>
> $ file /Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Tcl
> /Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Tcl: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
> /Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Tcl (for architecture ppc):   Mach-O dynamically linked shared library ppc
> /Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Tcl (for architecture i386):  Mach-O dynamically linked shared library i386
>
> My configure command is: ./configure --prefix=/dev/null --with-pydebug

On 10.6 the compiler generates 64-bit code by default, use:

configure --enable-universalsdk=/ ...

Ronald