[Pythonmac-SIG] Problems getting started with py2app and wxPython

Jeff Garbers jgarbers at roverapps.com
Wed Sep 30 20:09:24 CEST 2009

Hello! I'm just getting started trying to build a standalone Mac
application based on wxPython.  I'm on OS X 10.6.1, using Python 2.6.1
as distributed with the OS.

The app is a simple "hello world" type of thing:

> import wx
>
> class MyApp(wx.App):
>     def OnInit(self):
>         frame = wx.Frame(None, -1, "Hello from wxPython")
>         frame.Show(True)
>         self.SetTopWindow(frame)
>         return True
>
> app = MyApp(0)
> app.MainLoop()

I generate my setup.py with py2applet and build the app:

> 	py2applet --make-setup wxtest.py
> 	python setup.py py2app

All appears to go well, but when I run the resulting app, I get an
error immediately:

> wxtest Error
> An unexpected error has occurred during execution of the main script
>
> ImportError: '/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-dynload/wx/_core_.so' not found

Reviewing the output from py2app, I notice that that module -- among
others -- was stripped:

> stripping libwx_macud-2.8.0.dylib
> stripping _controls_.so
> stripping wxtest
> stripping _core_.so
> stripping _misc_.so
> stripping _gdi_.so
> stripping _windows_.so

I've been spoiled by things "just working" in both OS X and Python, so
this sort of thing throws me for a
loop, especially as a rookie.   Why is pyapp stripping those modules,
and how can I keep it from doing so?
Can anybody suggest a fix or point me in the right direction? Thanks
in advance for any help you can offer.