[Pythonmac-SIG] building wxPython on Mac OS X (10.5)

gabriel.rossetti at arimaz.com gabriel.rossetti at arimaz.com
Wed Sep 23 22:08:52 CEST 2009

Hello everyone,

I am trying to build wx on Mac OS X by following this tutorial :
http://www.wxpython.org/BUILD.html

I did the following :

cd Python-2.5.4
mkdir ../Python-Mac-Root
/configure --prefix=/Users/me/Desktop/Python-Mac-Root \
                --with-suffix=.mine --enable-shared --with-threads
make && make install

cd ../wxPython-src-2.8.10.1
/configure --prefix=/Users/me/Desktop/Python-Mac-Root \
                --with-mac --enable-geometry --enable-display \
                --enable-unicode --with-libjpeg=builtin \
                --with-libpng=builtin --with-libtiff=builtin \
                --with-zlib=builtin
make && make install

cd wxPython
/Users/me/Desktop/Python-Mac-Root/bin/python.mine setup.py build_ext \
         --inplace BUILD_GLCANVAS=0 BUILD_STC=0 BUILD_GIZMOS=0 \
        WX_CONFIG=/Users/me/Desktop/Python-Mac-Root/bin/wx-config

and everything goes well. My question is that I don't want to have to
set PYTHONPATH and DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH because I'd like for this to be
self contained and not have env. variables to set (just unzip and use,
like PortablePython on windows). Also, on the wx that's installed with
my real python installation I don't have those env variables defined
and it still works, so could someone please help me with this?

Thank you,
Gabriel