[Pythonmac-SIG] Link against Python Framework

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Sep 9 16:55:13 CEST 2009

On Wednesday, 09 September, 2009, at 04:07PM, "Kevin Walzer" <kw at codebykevin.com> wrote:

>> Major Python releases (such as 2.5 and 2.6) are not necessarily binary compatibel. If you are careful you can get a single binary that works with 2.5 and 2.6, but you then have to load the framework manually and also manually resolve any python API functions you are using.  The easiest way to do that is using the CFBundle APIs in CoreFoundation.
>>

>Does this mean that if one builds a PyObjC application using Apple's
>tools--Xcode, linking against the system Python and PyObjC
>frameworks--then it may break in an OS upgrade if Apple has upgraded the
>system Python installation? I've always wondered about this.

That could in theory break applications. Luckily Apple is very reluctant about breaking applications and hence ships multiple versions of Python (/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework on  3 versions of python: 2.3, 2.5 and 2.6). This means that you can safely link to the system Python on a 10.5 system (or even a 10.3.9 system) and run your application on a 10.6 system.

Ronald