[Pythonmac-SIG] 32/64 bit intel universal build

Robin robince at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 23:27:47 CET 2009

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 10:15 PM, William Kyngesburye
<woklist at kyngchaos.com> wrote:
> Something I noticed with the Apple Python is that /usr/bin/python (which is
> it's own binary and not a symlink) *only* responds to the env variable
> VERSIONER_PYTHON_PREFER_32_BIT (I think that's the name).  While
> /usr/bin/python2.6 (which is a symlink to the executable in the framework)
> *only* responds to the arch command.

Thanks - I see that behaviour too now I checked.

> So, it looks like you configuration is using the env variable method.  I
> don't compile my own Python, so I don't know if there is a configuration
> option to set this behavior.

I tried but I can't get the environment variable to have any effect on
the self-built python.org version.

robin-mbp:bin robince$ pwd
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin
robin-mbp:bin robince$ export VERSIONER_PYTHON_PREFER_32_BIT=yes
robin-mbp:bin robince$ ./python2.6 -c "import sys; print sys.maxint"
9223372036854775807
robin-mbp:~ robince$ /usr/bin/python -c "import sys; print sys.maxint"
2147483647
robin-mbp:bin robince$ export VERSIONER_PYTHON_PREFER_32_BIT=1
robin-mbp:bin robince$ ./python2.6 -c "import sys; print sys.maxint"
9223372036854775807

So I'm still stuck...

Cheers

Robin