[Pythonmac-SIG] Unwanted PPC build in setuptools

Dave Peterson dpeterson at enthought.com
Wed Oct 21 22:14:37 CEST 2009

Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> On 19 Oct, 2009, at 23:20, Robert Kern wrote:
>
>> I presume he's using the Enthought Python Distribution (disclosure: I
>> work for Enthought), which does have such a version number. It's
>> basically a not-entirely-palatable hack to make sure that users can
>> install and uninstall EPD in order to try it out without breaking
>> their previously installed Pythons.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to use '--with-framework-name', IIRC I
> introduced that in 2.6:
>
>     ./configure --enable-framework --with-framework-name=EPD
>
> This will create a framework named 'EPD.framework' instead of
> 'Python.framework'.

(I also work for Enthought)

EPD is still using Python 2.5 as its base, though we expect to be on 2.6
shortly.

I'm not clear on what the name of the framework effects.   Would you be
able to install pre-built binary distributions, built against an "EPD"
framework, into a "Python" framework?  And vice-versa?   If not, then
this probably isn't a usable solution for us.

-- Dave