[Pythonmac-SIG] Command line imports module but built *.app complains No module yaml

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Oct 1 21:09:23 CEST 2009

hari jayaram wrote:
> python setup.py py2app -A

Are you trying to build an "Alias" app? It will reference all your
source code, rather than copying anything. Teh odd thing is that is
usually more reliable, not less!

> When I try to open the dist file open dist/GridZilla.app
> I get a popup no module found yaml

do you get the same result if you double click on it? or s that what you
meant?

> I know the yaml module is present because I see it in site-packages
> and  the script GridZilla.py starts up just fine from the shell where
> the py2app was run.
> I can also see the module in the GridZilla.app
>
> /Users/hari/gzilla/src/dist/GridZilla.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.5/yaml

I don't think that should be there with an Alias bundle (-A option). YOu
may want to make sure you delete both "build" and "dist", then try
running py2app again.

To debug:

1) make absolutely sure you are running py2app with the same python that
you are running the script directly with. Check #! lines, etc.

2) add a "import sys; print sys.path" to your code -- this will tell you
where it is looking. You may need to open the "Console" utility to see
the output.

> My site-packages:
> hazel:yaml hari$ ls /Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/

note: this is the site-packages that is used for user-installed packages
for the Apple system Python2.5 -- is that what you want to use?

HTH,

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov