[Pythonmac-SIG] Using AHRegisterHelpBook

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Sun May 3 23:23:26 CEST 2009

Don McGuire wrote:

> I checked the Python 3.0 docs: all Carbon modules are removed, as you
> stated. So to launch the Help viewer nowadays, are you making calls to
> Cocoa? Or are you just launching the default web browser and skipping the
> Help viewer altogether?

User help is one of the trickiest things to get right, I've found. Both
Apple's help viewer and the browser present issues. My own solution is
documented here:

http://www.codebykevin.com/blosxom.cgi/2009/03/09#user-help

Not all parts of this are relevant, since I'm using Tkinter and bumping
up against Tk's limited support for displaying HTML, but it will give
you an idea of the issues.

Since you're using wxPython, can't you just call either the wxHelp API
(a bit complicated if I recall correctly) or simply create a simple HTML
viewer? I think something like that is in the wxPython demo code.

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin