[Pythonmac-SIG] [newbie] install PyObjc under EPD Python ?

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Sat Dec 19 11:50:14 CET 2009

In article <438D4269-AE6A-42A7-B104-0FED6CE77EB5 at lumen.nu>,
 Joost Rekveld <lists at lumen.nu> wrote:
> thanks for your reply. Yes, I read that you don't have to do anything for the
> apple-supplied Pythons, but what if I want to keep using my EPD Python ?
> If not, i'll have to install everything else in order to be able to use
> PyObjc. If it is the only way, I'd consider it, but I'd find it strange ?
>
> how can I install PyObjc for a non-apple-supplied Python ?

Sorry, I have no experience with the the Enthought distribution.  You
might ask over on the EPD-Users mailing list.  Depending on how that
Python 2.5.4 was built and whether it has been patched to support
building extensions on 10.6, you may need to use a different version of
gcc (typically, export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.0) and/or add -arch i386 flags.
Python 2.5 is rather old and only receives critical security bug fixes
these days from the Python development team.

PyObjC is also available as a MacPorts port if you care to use a
complete MacPorts solution:
    sudo port install py25-pyobjc-cocoa
or sudo port install py26-pyobjc-cocoa.

--