[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app doesn't work with virtualenv on Leopard

Gary Bernhardt gary.bernhardt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 18:26:23 CET 2008

I can't seem to get py2app to build an app in a virtualenv on Leopard.
The "python setup.py py2app" command always fails in the same way with
the exception show below. You can reproduce the problem by:

1. Create and activate a new virtualenv using the system Python (I
used virtualenv 1.3 and my system Python is 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Apr 15
2008, 22:57:26))
2. Try to build the TinyTinyEdit example (I used the version in svn trunk)

I did this on multiple Leopard machines, and on a fresh account, to
verify that I hadn't broken my global Python install somehow. I find
it hard to believe that py2app doesn't work with virtualenv, but I've
run out of ideas as to what I could be doing wrong. Is anyone using
these two together?

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Extras/lib/python/py2app/build_app.py",
line 570, in _run
    self.run_normal()
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Extras/lib/python/py2app/build_app.py",
line 641, in run_normal
    self.create_binaries(py_files, pkgdirs, extensions, loader_files)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Extras/lib/python/py2app/build_app.py",
line 749, in create_binaries
    mm.mm.run_file(runtime)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Extras/lib/python/macholib/MachOGraph.py",
line 65, in run_file
    raise ValueError('%r does not exist' % (pathname,))
ValueError: '/Users/grb/py2app-test/env/bin/../lib/libpython2.5.dylib'
does not exist

--
Gary
http://blog.extracheese.org