[Pythonmac-SIG] newbie questions about Mac APIs in Python

Joe Strout joe at strout.net
Tue Oct 14 19:36:20 CEST 2008

On Oct 13, 2008, at 10:49 AM, Chris.Barker wrote:

>> But what if we want to do some of them from a wxPython app (only
>> when we detect we're running on a Mac, of course)?
>
> Good question -- can pyObjC play well with wx? Anyone know?

Or more generally: can you invoke some Cocoa functionality from any
generic Python app, or does it have to be a PyObjC app through and
through?

For example: suppose we wanted to take the clean but Windows-only
"speech" package:

	<http://pypi.python.org/pypi/speech/0.5.1>

...and add Mac OS X support to it.  The speech facilities in Cocoa (or
Carbon, for that matter) are pretty easy to use; but this is a generic
module, that ought to work in any Python app, whether it's got a wx
GUI or even no GUI at all.  Is this possible, and how would we go
about it?

Thanks,
- Joe