[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app and bdist_mpkg on Linux?

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu May 15 19:02:16 CEST 2008

Kevin Walzer wrote:
> Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:
>> What I mean is:
>> MyPythonApp.app/
>>     Contents/my_python_script.py
>>     MacOS/python
>>     info.plist

>> To create a new python app, just replace my_python_script.py .
>> Would that work?
>
> Most likely, no. py2app works all kinds of magic in creating an
> application bundle, including rolling in the Python standard library,
> whatever GUI tookit you are using, and other scripts, and it runs
> Mac-specific tools to modify the library search path.

All that is true. However, Arne may be able to get something like this
to work. It seems there are three components to a py2app application bundle:

One is the "magic of creating an application bundle", which includes a
specific binary, etc.

The second is the all the included packages, and modules, including the
Frameworks, shared libs, etc that are needed.

The third is the actual application user code.

If one where to build an application bundle that included all the
packages for a given app, you could then swap out the application code.
This wouldn't be a general purpose solution, but could be a way to
distribute a particular app, doing the final building on another system.

Come to think of it, it would be nice to have a "just replace the app
code" option to py2app -- it does take a long time to do the complete
rebuild.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov