[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app and bdist_mpkg on Linux?

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Wed May 14 19:57:29 CEST 2008

Copying repsonse to the list so others can see the follow-up:

Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:
> El Tuesday, 13 de May de 2008 20:46:46 Kevin Walzer escribió:
>> If all you are distributing are Python scripts, you can already to this
>> with distutils or setuptools.
>
> I'd do it, if most Mac Users where completely comfortable with scripts.
>
> But to create something in which a Mac User feels aat home, I need to turn it
> into an Application bundle.

That's correct.

>> If you want to distribute standalone apps with the Python interpreter
>> embedded, that can't be done in a cross-platform manner. A Python binary
>> built on Linux won't run on OS X.
>
> Wouldn't it be possible to just include a binary Mac Python and then copy the
> script to the correct location?

No, not really. Python isn't installed in a single location on the Mac,
and standalone app bundles are structured differently anyway.

> I remember doing that for Java applications, and a friend of mine did the same
> with Python scripts.
>
> At the moment this takes manual intervention, though, and I can't do it with
> setuptools.
>
> This could also enable Windows users (the vast majority of users) to publish
> Python programs, which look like native MacOSX Applications, and so the
> number of available programs for MacOSX could increase.

Yes, but things don't work this way. You can't build standalone Python
apps intended for Windows on the Mac, either. py2exe is the standard
tool here, and it won't run on the Mac. :-)

--Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin