[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app and svn

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Jul 7 20:29:12 CEST 2008

Clifford Meece wrote:
> My question is: how do people generally handle commits of the build and
> dist directory?  Initially I just committed my working directory so I
> have my source and my build/* and dist/* in svn, which is probably not
> necessary.

nope. In general, the rule with SVN (and other version control) is that
you don't put generated files into the repository, so I'd leave out
build and dist. Make sure you do have everything you need to build your
app in there though -- setup.py, etc.

 > After I build, should I then commit the resulting
> packaged .app?

nope. Usually, binaries are distributed in a different way than SVN.
*.app bundles are pretty big, and everything in them may get flagged as
changed by SVN each time you re-build. I'm not sure on that point, but
if so, you'll have a LOT of data to store and transfer each time.

> Any experiences, practices or opinions would help.

Check out Alias mode of py2app too -- it's a great way to have a
points-and-clickable, drag-and-dropable, etc. app to work with while you
are developing. Once it's setup, you can change code, "svn update", etc,
and get the new version clickable. I even have the Alias Bundles for a
couple apps under development in my Dock for easy access.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov