[Pythonmac-SIG] pyobjc 2.0 with the python.org distribution?

David Warde-Farley dwf at cs.toronto.edu
Wed Dec 17 23:12:55 CET 2008

On 17-Dec-08, at 1:25 PM, Dav Clark wrote:

> Reza,
>
> Are you implying that you are able to build pyobjc 2.0 on python
> 2.5?  No one I know is able to do this... it would be exceedingly
> useful to have instructions on how  to do this.  Even vague and
> cryptic hints would be appreciated!
>
> I posted a good while ago about this, and occasionally take a crack
> at it to see if I've learned enough... but it always fails to build.
>
> Add to this the fact that no one answered my question about
> potential problems of using PyObjC 1.4 on leopard.  So, my current
> strategy is to avoid any code that uses PyObjC (for example, this
> motivated my shift towards pyglet instead of pygame).
>
> Cheers,
> Dav

Seems it's possible with something of a hack, namely edit the Makefile
in the python.org framework build.

See this post:

	http://jessenoller.com/2007/12/14/pyobjc-2-leopard-python-251-and-you/

and the linked mailing list post  by Barry Wark.

The long answer is that you really should build a framework build
against the 10.5u SDK. That's the real problem: 2.0 contains all sorts
of wrappings for Leopard-only stuff (as I understand it), the
Python.org build is built with 10.4 compatibility in mind. That said,
I was able to build it using the shell script included after making
that Makefile modification, and Xcode seems to work fine with the
framework in /Library replacing that in /System/Library in a basic
PyObjC project.

Barry says in the comments that he built one, provides a now-dead link
to a package on his site, but I imagine building your own framework
build with the 10.5u SDK isn't too hard.

David