[Pythonmac-SIG] [Numpy-discussion] Problem with numpy on Leopard

Boyd Waters bwaters at nrao.edu
Fri Nov 2 19:21:39 CET 2007

On Nov 2, 2007, at 9:33 AM, Brian Granger wrote:

>  Now under Leopard, this becomes "python setup.py install" +
> muck with PYTHONPATH or .pth files.

I'm not sure it's that bad.

We ship a fairly complex science application. You might call it a
very large set of Python extensions, but the C++ code is way bigger
than the Python. Parts of our build system are 15 years old, and
we're not set up to build everything from a top-level "setup.py". So
I've not yet learned how to make py2app work for me.

Instead, I ship a Mac application bundle. On Tiger, it's an
Applescript thing, that launches a bash shell script, that sets up
the Python path to point to the app bundle first, and then launches
the Python that's included in the app bundle. Since I don't know
enough Python system engineering, I ship the entire Python distro
inside the application.

That's for Tiger. It's rock-solid for the end user, no matter what
they have installed elsewhere.

On Leopard, I'll still put all of my Python extensions inside my
Application bundle, and I'll still use a launcher (perhaps written in
PyObjC, since I know it will be there) that sets up the path.

The user will just double-click the application icon.