[Pythonmac-SIG] Problems with PYTHONPATH using MacPorts Python 2.4 & 2.5

Nehemiah Dacres vivacarlie at gmail.com
Wed May 9 22:50:20 CEST 2007

Site packages is where the platform dependant libraries of Mac python
reside. they should be in /Library/Python/site-packages/ and thats where
platform specific libraries are installed. Python home im not sure of,
PYTHONPATH is where the python interpreter lives, it is specific to the
particular version of python so each version [2.3, 2.4, 2.5] can possibly
print a different response when you put the following commands in your
python interpreter:

>> import sys
>> print sys.path

you shall get  a list of paths, these are the paths to all the directories
(folders) that  the python interpreter will look in for libraries.

On 5/5/07, Chris Cioffi <evenprimes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to get started with Python 2.5 on my Mac and for various
> reasons would like to use th Python from MacPorts.
> [http://www.macports.org/]
>
> I've installed Python 2.5 and when I start it up I get the following:
>
> """
> Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
> Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
> Python 2.5 (r25:51908, May  4 2007, 19:57:54)
> [GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5363)] on darwin
> >>>
> """
>
> The only change I have from the default system is I have
> .pydistutils.cfg with the following:
> """
> [install]
> install_lib = ~/Library/Python/$py_version_short/site-packages
> install_scripts = ~/Applications/bin
> install_data = ~/Library/Python/$py_version_short/share
> """
>
> Does anyone have any idea on what I should set $PYTHONPATHHOME to?  My
> ports install is the default location, /opt/local.
>
> Any help would be very much appreciated!
>
> Chris
> --
> "A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only
> a fool trusts either of them." -- P. J. O'Rourke

"lalalalala! it's not broken because I can use it"

http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=194281&threshold=1&commentsort=0&mode=thread&cid=15927703