[Pythonmac-SIG] building extension problems on OS X python 2.5.1

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri May 4 19:13:46 CEST 2007

I have built NetCDF and HDF5 (and HDF4) universal.  Currently they're
built statically into my GDAL framework (which has python interface,
BTW).  I have Xcode projects for these (though they're integrated
with my GDAL Xcode project), but I used to do them as configure-make-
install builds.  I'll have to dig up my notes on this, unless you
prefer the Xcode projects.

Getting HDF5 to build universal from configure-make is very messy,
though there is one trick that can make it very easy.

let me know.

On May 4, 2007, at 11:11 AM, James Boyle wrote:

> INTEL Mac  OS X 10.4.9  Macpython 2.5.1
>
> I am having trouble building extensions onto my MacPython 2.5.1.
> The error for pynetcdf 0.7 is given below but I have had the same
> error on two other packages.
>
> It appears that the builds attempt to make a universal binary by
> default  and attempt to link to a library that I have built as i386
> only.
> The extent of my ignorance is that I would not even know how to build
> a universal library if I wanted to.
> These libraries HDF5 and netCDF4 have fairly complex build scripts.
>
> I would like to be able to turn off the mechanism that is forcing a
> universal build. The PPC part is a waste of space for me.
>
> Of course, my interpretation of the error might be completely off
> base.
>
> Appreciate any insight.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Those people who most want to rule people are, ipso-facto, those
least suited to do it."

- A rule of the universe, from the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy