[Pythonmac-SIG] Opening an app from another app under different OS X versions

Dethe Elza delza at livingcode.org
Thu Jan 25 18:35:05 CET 2007

On 25-Jan-07, at 12:08 AM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> On 24 Jan, 2007, at 18:44, Dethe Elza wrote:
>
>>   Also, paths are different on
>> internationalized versions of OS X.
>
> The aren't AFAIK. The finder is localized and shows different
> folder names if you run in another language (that's why there are
> ".localized" turds in several directories). Windows is the OS where
> directory names actually do change depending on the language you
> install it in.
>
> The OSX implementation actually makes it possible to have several
> accounts with different languages and have them all see their
> localized version of folder names.

Cool, I didn't know that.  I'm pretty sure older versions of Mac OS
(pre-OS X) *did* work that way--you had to use symbolic constants to
refer to known folders and not count on the exact file paths.  That
said, using  fully-qualified paths can still be fragile, since users
may move things around when you least expect it.

--Dethe

"There's a little bit of God in every truck driver and a little bit
of truck driver in every God." -- Blayne Horner