[Pythonmac-SIG] Why Do I Explicitly Need MacPython

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Mon Sep 25 23:07:43 CEST 2006

On 9/25/06, Russell E Owen <rowen at cesmail.net> wrote:
> At 5:05 PM +0200 2006-09-23, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
> >...I'm -0 on adding support for DMGs.  Using a DMG doesn't buy
> >enough over a zip to warrant spending time on it.
>
> I was offering my own time. I've found them helpful for two reasons:
> - They can be reliably opened. I used to distribute my app as a zip
> archive, but for some reason some of my users tried to use old
> versions of Stuffit Expander instead of the built in BOMHelper to
> unpack them, resulting in an unusable application. I've had no such
> complaints since switching to .dmg files (yet; I suppose some user,
> somewhere, has figured out how to mis-open dmg files).
> - Convenient for the user: no disk clutter and need to discard the
> unpacked package when finished. Just eject.
>
> But Bob already said he doesn't want it, and py2app is his baby, so I
> am content to drop it.

Note that py2app doesn't even know how to zip .app files. It's
bdist_mpkg we're talking about, and .pkg/.mpkg bundles should be
resilient against Stuffit Expander's brain damage since they don't
depend on permissions or anything.

If you want dmg distribution for .app files, that's fine with me. I'd
take a py2app patch for creating .dmg.