[Pythonmac-SIG] Steps needed to get cvs2svn working on Panther or Tiger (solution)

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Sep 18 21:28:36 CEST 2006

Gerben Wierda wrote:
>> what shell are you using?
>
> bash (default shell). But my env has not been changed by the Universal pkg.
>
> hermione-a:~ gerben$ which python
> /usr/bin/python
>
> PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/i386-apple-darwin-current
>

> I also would wonder if that would be something that the Universal .pkg
> should do. It would mean that I would get a new python when I call
> system utitlities that use Python from the command line (because it
> would have to be inserted at the start of my PATH and that is generally
> taken as not the right thing to do)

A) system scripts should have the path to Python hard coded:

#!/usr/bin/python

B) The installer is only supposed to alter your login shell PATH, so
anything called by the system won't be effected.

> But anyway, Universal pkg did not set up my PATH for my command line shell.

Curious:

Ronald and/or Bob: isn't it supposed to have? I know it did mine:

$ cat .profile
# Setting PATH for MacPython 2.4
# The original version is saved in .profile.pysave
PATH="/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:${PATH}"
export PATH

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov