[Pythonmac-SIG] Steps needed to get cvs2svn working on Panther or Tiger (solution)

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sat Sep 16 13:38:15 CEST 2006

> What was the error you got after installing Python 2.4.3? Should've
> worked perfectly.

This was for me a very informative message because if you know it
should work, you know there is a solution to find. And I found one.

The problem was that --- as cvs2svn was installed in the standard
system --- Python, stuff was not found when trying to call cvs2svn
with the new Python.

So I tried:

sudo make DESTDIR=/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4
install

but that results in things one probably does not want, e.g. during
the install run one sees:

byte-compiling /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/
System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/
site-packages/cvs2svn_rcsparse/texttools.py to texttools.pyc

So, I tried bypassing the cvs2svn Makefile after reading setup.py
(and not knowing Python at all, guessing):

sudo /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/bin/python
setup.py install

which results in things that look better, e.g.:

byte-compiling /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
python2.4/site-packages/cvs2svn_rcsparse/texttools.py to texttools.pyc

And after that a trial run seems to work (see below)

So, what I did:
- Downloaded and installed Berkeley DB 4.4 from source (I do not know
if this was a necessary step)
- Install the Python 2.4 Universal .pkg
- Downloaded and unarchived cvs2svn-1.3.1 in /usr/local/src
- cd /usr/local/src/cvs2svn-1.3.1
- sudo /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/bin/python
setup.py install

After than cvs2svn can be used as follows (example only, the
directory has not been cleaned before cvs2svn --dump-only has been run):

hermione-a:/usr/local/subversion/II2/ii2-cvsbackup gerben$ /Library/
Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/bin/cvs2svn --
dumpfile=svndump --dump-only .
----- pass 1 -----

[snip]

Starting Subversion r70 / 71
Starting Subversion r71 / 71
Done.

cvs2svn Statistics:
------------------
Total CVS Files:               596
Total CVS Revisions:          1793
Total Unique Tags:               3
Total Unique Branches:           2
CVS Repos Size in KB:        29412
Total SVN Commits:              71
First Revision Date:    Wed Jan 14 18:12:24 2004
Last Revision Date:     Wed Jun 14 23:19:58 2006
------------------
Timings:
pass 1:     4 seconds
pass 2:     0 seconds