[Pythonmac-SIG] Does anyone on the planet know how to build python-2.5 (WITH READLINE)?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sat Nov 18 16:42:07 CET 2006

On  18 Nov 2006, at 4:34 PM, skip at pobox.com wrote:

>     Ronald> You probably have to add the directory containing
> readline to
>     Ronald> the CFLAGS and LDFLAGS when running Python's configure,
> AFAIK
>     Ronald> setup.py doesn't automaticly look for readline in
>     Ronald> $prefix/{lib,include}.
>
> Since readline is an extension module I think you want to specify
> this stuff
> to distutils, e.g.:

Changing the CFLAGS/LDFLAGS at configure time works to (at least on
darwin/OSX systems). I applied a patch to that effect in 2.4 and 2.5
because I got mightily annoyed with this. Before my patch you could
specify other CFLAGS/LDFLAGS as much as you liked, but the autodetect
code in setup.py would never use that. With my patch the include and
library directories in those variablese are used to autodetect
readline and other libraries.

The reason this is only done on OSX is that I never got around to
asking on python-dev if this behaviour is useful on other platforms
as well (IMHO it is, and the code should work at least on Linux and
other GCC-using platforms).

Ronald