[Pythonmac-SIG] bdist_mpkg question: getting pytz included with matplotlib

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Nov 14 20:20:47 CET 2006

Russell E. Owen wrote:
> Sorry to follow up my own posting, but I found one way to do it:
>
> modify matplotlib's setup.py file to always install dateutil and pytz.
> It turns out normally only installs them if a version doesn't already
> exist.

I think it's a better idea to build mpkgs of dateutil and pytz, and put
those up on pythonmac also. MPL is a library, not a complete, stand
alone system, it's OK for it to have dependencies, as long as there is
an easy way to find and install them.

> Perhaps this is a case for installing matplotlib using easy_install
> instead.

eggs do have their advantages. I'd still like to see some (even very
minimal) GUI way to install eggs, but until then, it's not that big deal
to install them from the command line.

We could certainly put binary eggs up on pythonmac too.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov