[Pythonmac-SIG] customize distutils universal extension build?

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Thu May 18 05:29:03 CEST 2006

Is there some way to customize or override the build flags for
building a Python extension (a C library wrapper)?

My main problem is that it adds the -g debug flag, ballooning the
size of the module.  I want to build WITHOUT the -g flag.

Here's what I get from running the setup.py for the extension:

compile:

gcc -arch ppc -arch i386 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -
fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-double -no-cpp-precomp -mno-fused-madd -
fno-common -dynamic -DNDEBUG -g -O3 ...

link:

gcc -arch ppc -arch i386 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -g
-bundle -undefined dynamic_lookup ...

Note that I'm just building this extension, I don't do any of the
programming for it, and I haven't got around to learning much Python
yet (someday...).

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Oh, look, I seem to have fallen down a deep, dark hole.  Now what
does that remind me of?  Ah, yes - life."

- Marvin