[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app is building semi-standalone package only.

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Mar 22 20:33:57 CET 2006

Bill Janssen wrote:

> Read, my installers put links in /usr/bin/, too.  It's really the only
> way to go, until Apple provides something like the Windows registry
> complete with a programmatic API for it.

AACCK! NOOOOOO!

You sure don't need the nightmare of the registry for Apple to make this
kind of thing easier.

1) They could just have a standard place for user-installed command line
apps to go (/usr/local/bin is a fine choice), and PUT IT IN THE DEFAULT
PATH!

2) you mentioned a programmatic API: In fact, I think there is a plist
somewhere that sets the default environment variables for all apps, you
could add a PATH entry (or add to it) programmaticly easily enough.

3) PATH is only relevant to command line apps: if you've never gone back
from using a GUI -- you'll never need to care about this.

4) I've used a GUI for many years: Macintosh, various flavors of
Windows, KDE, etc -- I still keep going back to the command line for
some things.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov