[Pythonmac-SIG] Recurring question - which python should I use?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Mar 14 21:38:51 CET 2006

On 14-mrt-2006, at 17:50, Charles Hartman wrote:

> I'm still not *quite* clear on the interactions here.
>
> 1. wxPython still isn't Universal, though there are rumblings in the
> distance. Until that happens, is it possible to use the emerging
> Universal build of Python with the PPC build of wxPython? I guess I
> mean, possible to make command-line Python scripts that call (PPC)
> wx, on an Intel machine? In general, I guess: does Python care how
> its libraries are built, as long as they're built to run *somehow* on
> the platform that Python is running on? (Is that even the right
> question??)

You can use native extensions with the universal build, but you cannot
use PPC extensions on Intel. To answer you're question: you're going to
need a universal or Intel build of wxPython to create wx gui's on an
intel mac.

Rosetta is quite good, but it cannot be used to emulate just part of
an application.

> 2. Until Universal py2app (thanks Bob!) is ready, it's not possible
> to build Mac standalone apps with Universal Python -- is that correct?
Right. You might be able to get away with rebuilding the application
launcher in py2app, but there's no guarantee that this will work.

> 3. (the combination) When Universal py2app is ready -- long before
> Universal wxPython, I'll bet -- will it be possible to build
> standalone apps for Mac (PPC and Intel) using (PPC) wxPython?
No, see answer 1.

Ronald