[Pythonmac-SIG] Recurring question - which python should I use?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Mar 14 19:17:43 CET 2006

On Mar 14, 2006, at 8:50 AM, Charles Hartman wrote:

> I'm still not *quite* clear on the interactions here.
>
> 1. wxPython still isn't Universal, though there are rumblings in
> the distance. Until that happens, is it possible to use the
> emerging Universal build of Python with the PPC build of wxPython?
> I guess I mean, possible to make command-line Python scripts that
> call (PPC) wx, on an Intel machine? In general, I guess: does
> Python care how its libraries are built, as long as they're built
> to run *somehow* on the platform that Python is running on? (Is
> that even the right question??)

I'd expect that universal wxPython should hop along pretty quickly
after we make the universal build official.. they'll have to, more or
less.

You can not use plugins cross-arch, so no.  You can coerce rosette
into running Python and doing the whole Python process in PPC emulation.

> 2. Until Universal py2app (thanks Bob!) is ready, it's not possible
> to build Mac standalone apps with Universal Python -- is that correct?

Correct.  Haven't I said this like 5 times today?

> 3. (the combination) When Universal py2app is ready -- long before
> Universal wxPython, I'll bet -- will it be possible to build
> standalone apps for Mac (PPC and Intel) using (PPC) wxPython?
>
> Sorry to be so foggy-headed about the innards of this. It isn't
> urgent, since *everything* seems to work fine in the PPC versions
> on an Intel Mac.

Yes, but the standalone apps will have to run under Rosetta on
Intel.  There's an Info.plist key that you can set to say that the
bundle needs to start up for PPC.