[Pythonmac-SIG] python 2.5b1

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Jun 28 00:16:38 CEST 2006

Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>  But a seperate unix installation shouldn't be
> necessary to use Python.

I've managed to keep my system Darwinports and fink free, but sometimes
it's hard. It's apparently much easier to do a straight port of
something that already works on Linux (and other *nixes) to fink, than
to get it to compile and install right in native OS-X.

It's not python itself -- MacPython does everything it needs to. the
issue is python stuff that requires other *nix libs and packages. Many
of these are available in fink, but not in an easy-to-install-and-use
version for native OS-X. We can fix some of that by adding a LOT more
packages to the pythonmac.org repository.

Another issue is that Apple has not provided a packaging system for
OS-X. There is no way to install a package you need, and have the system
go and install all the dependencies for you. fink makes that easy.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov